Wednesday, April 11, 2018

General Convention Official Youth Presence


Hello all! My name is Helena Upshaw and I was recently selected to serve on the 79th General Convention’s Official Youth Presence (OYP). I am a high school senior at Academic Magnet High School in North Charleston, and I have attended Grace Church Cathedral in Charleston ever since I was invited to the St. Nicholas Choirs. Besides musical worship, I have tried to become involved in every youth and service event offered at my church, diocese, and province. The most memorable events in my youth life include the Episcopal Youth Event 2017, where I was able to meet Episcopalians from all over the world, and Grace church’s annual charity cafe, Tea Room, with which I waitress, bus, and bake.


From April 5-8th, the 17 other members of (OYP) met to discuss our role at General Convention and learn what issues we want to support or speak against this July. The most pressing issues among myself and OYP include the LGBT community, refugees, international development, and the environment. I am not allowed to vote or propose any resolutions myself, but I have been trying to write a resolution for the deputation that will encourage churches across the nation to hold regular blood drives. I am also planning to speak on several resolutions, particularly those advocating for environmental conservation. I will be attending Province IV’s Synod in June and look forward to learning more about each deputations’ goals.

After General Convention, I plan to attend Clemson University for Bachelors of Science in Computer Science and Environmental Studies. I will also be involved in our diocese’s first Happening next Spring and join Canterbury of Clemson.

I would like to thank Andrea McKellar and Christian Basel for allowing me to become so involved in our church. Thank you and please keep me in the prayers as I begin to prepare for the 79th General Convention!


No comments:

Post a Comment