Saturday, July 7, 2018

Being an Alternate Deputy at GC79


Alternate Deputy Wilmot Merchant, in the foreground, at the SC table on the floor of the House of Deputies.
The Rev. Canon Dr. Wilmot T. Merchant II is an Alternate Deputy from our diocese. This is his blog post as our Deputy of the Day.

On Monday morning, July 2, I left Myrtle Beach, SC for Austin, Texas for the 79th General Convention of the Episcopal Church. As the First Clergy Alternate Deputy, I was looking forward to meeting and greeting many of those I had met over the years, but especially those I met for the first time in the last three years. It is always good to meet the Province IV Synod folks.

There was not much for me to do on Tuesday, July 3, but beginning Wednesday, July 4, we were on our way. Legislative Committee Sessions, opening remarks by the Presiding Bishop and the President on the House of Deputies — this was the first joint Session of the General Convention. It was followed by the orientation for the House of Deputies. The House of Bishops had a listening session, which included Bishops reading brief stories of women and others who had suffered abuse in the church.

When evening came it was time for the 50th Anniversary Gala of the Union of Black Episcopalians (UBE). It was truly a celebration of the UBE — they were prepared for 300 and we were 400 in attendance. The day ended without much fireworks from where we were because of the rain, but just enough to remind us that it was still the 4th of July after all. 

July 5 was the first Legislative Day for the General Convention, we started the day at 8:00 in the morning with the House of Deputies coming to order. Following a few items of business, it was time for the opening Eucharist. 

As we were leaving the House of Deputies, I was asked to serve as one of the Eucharistic Ministers, serving the bread, and I gladly agreed. This is my second General Convention and I have been asked to serve in this role at both General Conventions. After the service, we went back to Legislative Committee sessions and hearings. As my assignment for our Deputation, I was asked to follow the Churchwide Leadership Legislative Committee. It has been interesting listening to the conversations, because in 2015 when I was on a committee, I was new and was not sure what I was to do, and I spent more time taking in what it was to be a Deputy at General Convention.
Fr. Merchant served as a minister of Communion
at the opening  Eucharist on July 5.

Sitting and listening to the conversations, I wish I were a Deputy assigned to this committee by the President of the House of Deputies; there have been times when I had to remind myself that I could not speak since I was not a member of the committee. This is the committee that dealt with the issue of compensation for the President of the House of Deputies, and a resolution was passed by the Bishops and Deputies of that Committee; and when presented to the House of Deputies was passed by 85 percent.

At lunch time, Deputy Jim Taylor and I switched, I became the Deputy for the rest of the afternoon and all day Friday. That meant I was on the main floor of the House of Deputies, and it also meant I was present to lead the Table conversation of our Deputation during the joint Session on Racial Reconciliation.

During the Legislative Committee session on Saturday morning, we were informed that the House of Bishop had voted in favor of the resolution that will give the President of the House of Deputies some compensation. This is history, because for years it has been a struggle to find a balance between the two houses. 

So let me say it this way, I am have a wonderful experience at General Convention.

The Rev. Cn. Dr. Wilmot T. Merchant II

No comments:

Post a Comment