Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Deputy Diary: Wilmot's General Convention Experience

Wilmot Merchant:

As a first time Clergy Deputy to General Convention, representing The Episcopal Church in South Carolina, I am amazed by the schedule and the speed with which things are being done. My first reaction was, this is like a very large family reunion, and you are meeting people that you having seen for many years and some for a few months; thank God for name tags. There seems to be is true joy in the meeting and greeting that is taking place. Because of the schedule, many things are overlapping and so you have to make decision of where you will be, while at the same time, at least in mine case, you are on a Legislative Committee and you are expected to be there. Believe it or not, some of us we keep running and being at the places we have decided to be. For me it was Saturday night, I did not attend my Legislative Committee Hearing, because I when to the Program Budget and Finance hearing.

With Dr. Charles V. Willie, former Vice President of the House of Deputies.

After the hearing, the Union of Black Episcopalians hosted a reception for the Presiding Bishop-Elect.

With the Presiding Bishop-Elect

As we gathered in the room, having refreshment and drinks and were reflecting on the day’s event, the election of Bishop Curry; we were told that when he comes in, we will gather around him lay hands on him and pray for him; but no one was identify to pray. When the Bishop Curry came in we gathered around him to pray for him. As we gathered around him and lay hands on him, Canon Richard Miller said Wilmot you pray. Because I did not know I was going to be asked, I paused for a minute and then open my mouth; and for the next few minutes words came pouring out. I do not remember what I said, but sure the Holy Spirit knows, everyone in the room heard me pray. Since Saturday, I have been stopped a number of times and thanked for the prayer. That moment on Saturday night, has become the highpoint of this Convention for me thus far. We still have more days to go before the Convention ends, and so we go on…

Praying for Presiding Bishop-Elect Curry

1 comment: